Saturday, March 8, 2008

Figure Scultpure

Saturdays I go to a figure sculpture class. Today, we worked on a one day pose. That is we don't keep it at the end of class. We build it up then tear it down once we are done. As a side note, I think that there was a mix up because we should be doing two day poses now. That doesn't really matter, still its kind of disappointing. I enjoy that class and I thought today I would share some photos and thoughts on that class.

The class is all about studying the body through sculpting it in clay. We spend are day trying to replicate the form in front of us, while at the same time giving the sculpture character and personality.

As I understand it, it begins with mass, forming the general volume of the body's structure. We then work on the planes than make up the surface of the body, followed by anatomical structure and detail.



That is the gist of it. I am new to this so I don't really know what I am doing at times.

I noticed that my figures turn out kind of rigid. The sculpture pictured here is the project I worked on today. I think it looks rigid, stiff and not very fluid, which bugs me because I was very conscious of that while I was sculpting it. I thought I had made it very expressive. I had exaggerated the gesture and accentuated aspects of the form, but all I got was this stiff clay humanoid form.

I was happy with it while I was making it, but at the end of the day I could see I hadn't paid enough attention to what I was seeing.

Ross

1 comment:

Shannon Chen said...

You only spent one day on that, so don't worry about rigidness. It still looks great. :-)