Friday, August 8, 2008

Long time between updates

I have just finished the summer semester and I thought I would take some time to update you on what I am doing right now.

The classes I was taking this semester were Head Drawing and Crossing Borders. Head Drawing is a repeat class for me. I took it as on of my directed study courses, I took it because I felt I needed to revisit my drawing as I have been struggling with it lately. I really enjoyed the class and learned so much from it. I would recommend this class to anyone.

This class was a combination of drawing from life and copying photos and paintings. The photos we copied were old black and white photos of early movie stars. We also did a couple of copies of old master paintings. I copied a Sergeant and a couple of Rembrandt's. The first two were copies of paintings done in charcoal, the last was a copy of a painting done in oil. I am pleased with the result and I will add images of them to my web site soon.

Crossing Borders is a general studies class required for my program. The class is alright, but I took it online and didn't enjoy the online format. I do not recommend taking online courses, one does not get the same from an on site class.

Outside of class I have been helping with a mural and a church near my school. It is a very exciting project and I was very honored to be part of it. I came on late to the project to help out as they were looking for some extra help. I am glad i did because I have been part of something very special. Not many people today can say they have done what I have done.

This mural is based of off designs of the early renaissance era, the time of Giotto and such, 12th and 13th century. It is painted in a Church that was built in the late 1850's in San Francisco. I didn't do any design work, but I got to help. I traced patterns onto the wall, painted in fields of color and did some lining. Simple stuff but I was happy to do it.

Ross

2 comments:

grandma B said...

Glad to hear that you are finished and enjoyed your classes. Your work is great! Looked at Shannon's site. She is very talented. Mom

sinistersantiago said...

I would love to see the church. That sounds awesome. Hope to see pics of your work soon
Drea