Monday, September 29, 2008
Today, the feedback from the instructor was that i need ot work on temperature and value on the shadow side. This is a common problem I have. I did some things to fix it, but really I just need to try to work on it the next time.
So I took charcoal in to the workshop today and drew.
Sunday, September 28, 2008
From artdaily. Basically the same as the other link.
from SFGate. Moslty about the opening of the Porziuncola, but does breifly mention the mural and us students.
All very cool!
Friday, September 26, 2008
Here is a link to an article about the mural I worked on. Its very exciting stuff.
This project was a lot of fun and I am so happy to have been a part of it. This was truly a rare opportunity for an artist. I felt like I was an artist in the days of the renaissance. (There was a point I was laying on my back painting on the arch at the top of the ceiling) This was also a great learning experience. I learned so much about the process of making a mural, the amount of work required to do it well, the planning and such. I also got a glimpse at what goes into such a large project in general. What they did here seems very complex. I was very impressed by what I saw there. Every time I went to work on the mural I saw something new. Overall I think I got much more out of it than I put into it.
I want to mention something about my role in this project, just to clarify. I came on to the project midway through the process. As the article says I answered the plea for help. Our director had asked me to join because they needed some extra help to make sure everything went smoothly as they approached the deadline.The mural was over half way complete when I came in, so I did not participate in the designing. That credit belongs solely to the others on the team. I think they did a great job of it too. I really do, I saw it when everything was completed and it looks great! I don't want to take anything away from their accomplishment by claiming design credit for myself. They put a lot of hours into it and they deserve the recognition for their work.
What I did was painted parts of the mural based on their instruction and templates. I also did a lot of template tracing. They were always apologizing for that, as it was the unglamorous side of making art. I enjoyed doing it, and there really isn't a lot of things glamourous in the process of painting a mural, its hard work. Still, I really enjoyed working on the project and I would do it again.
One thing about the article I think needs some clarification, The students worked on this project as volunteers, not part of any curriculm or class.
This was a great experience, I am so happy to been part of it. My only wish is that I had been part of it earlier. The people I worked with were great. The mural I worked on is beautiful. The porject it is a part of is one of a kind. All in all, a very good moment in my life.
Tuesday, September 23, 2008
Monday, September 22, 2008
I was fighting my normal fight with the paint today. From this painting I have decided to tone my canvas a little lighter, not worry so much about transparencies in the shadows so I can aim to get the relationships withing the painting right.
Thursday, September 18, 2008
Tuesday, September 16, 2008
Friday, September 12, 2008
We only had a week to work on this, rather than the three to four weeks I have had on the past drawings. Because of this, I had to plan out what I wanted to get done for this copy as I work extremely slow when doing this kind of stuff. I decided to focus mainly on the figure, you will notice I have put the elements of the environment in the drawing but they are not fully rendered. Except for what she is leaning on, I felt that was necessary to render to some detail. Other than that, I tried to only hint at an environment.
I also decided that since we were to have fun with the project to do a couple of things that would not exactly be copying the original but staying true to it. I did this because I wanted to translate the drawing into something I would be able to do that kept a certain level of beauty. From past experience, I noticed that trying to slavishly copy, stoke for stroke, will get me a likeness but it doesn't necessarily give me a good drawing.
With that in mind I decided to first lower the overall value of the drawing. I did this because I am working from a reproduction and I have learned that reproductions are generally wrong about correct value and color, a problem with technology. I felt that trying to directly copy the values as they were I would have created a drawing with a light side and a dark side, with no middle tones. It would have looked weird. With one exception, I matched the value relationships as best I could.
That exception was a decision to emphasize the light as it hit the form to give the viewer a sense of a directional light source. In my reproduction I had a hard time seeing the differences in value on the form. Looking at image online I could see it and I figure that Rubens was so subtle in his transitions they get lost went printed on a personal printer. Anyway, I didn't have that in front of me so I determined were the light was coming from and worked the form as if that was how it should be.
Overall I am pleased with the result, though there are some mistakes I wished I had avoided. The legs are in the wrong place. I had originally drawn them too low and halfway finished with the drawing it was pointed out to me of my mistake. I tried to fix it as best I could but I still see the error. Also the drawing is fairly stiff, especially the face. Still, I am learning so I feel successful.
The drawing is 18 x 24 inches, charcoal on paper after Peter Paul Rubens' painting Leda and the Swan.
To see the original painting:
For more information on Rubens: