Friday, September 26, 2008

Mural at National Shrine of Saint Francis of Assisi


Here is a link to an article about the mural I worked on. Its very exciting stuff.

http://www.academyart.edu/news/academynews.jsp?type=CampusNews&article=/news/campus_news_0342.html

This project was a lot of fun and I am so happy to have been a part of it. This was truly a rare opportunity for an artist. I felt like I was an artist in the days of the renaissance. (There was a point I was laying on my back painting on the arch at the top of the ceiling) This was also a great learning experience. I learned so much about the process of making a mural, the amount of work required to do it well, the planning and such. I also got a glimpse at what goes into such a large project in general. What they did here seems very complex. I was very impressed by what I saw there. Every time I went to work on the mural I saw something new. Overall I think I got much more out of it than I put into it.

I want to mention something about my role in this project, just to clarify. I came on to the project midway through the process. As the article says I answered the plea for help. Our director had asked me to join because they needed some extra help to make sure everything went smoothly as they approached the deadline.The mural was over half way complete when I came in, so I did not participate in the designing. That credit belongs solely to the others on the team. I think they did a great job of it too. I really do, I saw it when everything was completed and it looks great! I don't want to take anything away from their accomplishment by claiming design credit for myself. They put a lot of hours into it and they deserve the recognition for their work.

What I did was painted parts of the mural based on their instruction and templates. I also did a lot of template tracing. They were always apologizing for that, as it was the unglamorous side of making art. I enjoyed doing it, and there really isn't a lot of things glamourous in the process of painting a mural, its hard work. Still, I really enjoyed working on the project and I would do it again.

One thing about the article I think needs some clarification, The students worked on this project as volunteers, not part of any curriculm or class.

This was a great experience, I am so happy to been part of it. My only wish is that I had been part of it earlier. The people I worked with were great. The mural I worked on is beautiful. The porject it is a part of is one of a kind. All in all, a very good moment in my life.

Ross

2 comments:

grandma B said...

Ross, I read the article and the mural looks beautiful. When we come to visit sometime, can you take us to see it? Love, Mom

PS. Keep posting your school work. It's great!

Ross said...

I will take you to see it, definitely.

Ross