Monday, October 6, 2008

Two Quick Ones

Here is the first of two paintings I did today. It is the painting I did for expressive painting class today. This is a one day pose (I am thinking that every set up in that class is a one day pose) Today, I set two goals for me to work on.

The first goal was to work on the shadow side more. That is, I wanted to work on getting more color into the shadow side. It was not as easy as I thought it would be because I like to mass in the whole shadow side. This means I have to fight with the paint I laid down to establish my value. I got color in and I am happy with that.

The other thing I want to work on was my brush work, how I handle the paint. This semester I am trying to work on creating brush work that has a certain maturity in its handling. In other words, the brush strokes are planned not random or clumsy.

This is the study I did in the workshop today. I decided to switch gears from class and just paint a portrait capturing as much of what I see as best I could. This is where quick studies class paid off. I massed in everything fairly quickly. I then spent the rest of the session modeling and refining the form. I stayed away from playing with color, mainly because I spent the previous part focusing on that and I was tired. I am happy with the portrait.

I enjoy painting this model, one of my first portrait paintings I did was of him and I can compare to that to see the differences.

Ross

No comments: