Friday, November 21, 2008

Three classes, three projects

This post is a little late in coming. Sorry, things have been busy lately. This time I have three projects to talk about, two of which I am pleased with and one I am not.

Let's start with one I am happy with. The painting to your left is a one day multi-figure pose from my expressive painting class. This is the first painting I have done since my final project from my situation and environment class last spring. I enjoyed painting this one. The instructor set up the pose and instructed us to keep to simplify the information in the painting. Having just looked at the artist Euan Uglow I thought I would try breaking down the surface planes into geometric fields. I also felt the the models were actually to far apart in the situation that was set up. So, I moved them closer together in my composition. Overall I was pleased with it. It is 18" x 24" oil on panel.

One problem I had to overcome was the model sitting on the floor had to change her pose after I set up my composition. I had no problem with her changing as it hurt and she wouldn't have been able to hold it. I was faced with a decision once she changed her pose. Painting her how she sat meant her leg would run off the panel. I could change the who composition, attempt to paint the old pose, or figure out something that wouldn't make the leg running off look like a mistake. I chose the latter. I think it works.

This next is the one I am not happy with. this comes from my figure painting class. This is a three day pose were the model is lit by two light sources, natural and artificial. This was way beyond me this time. I struggled with everything. The drawing is off, the values are wrong and the color is weird. Notice how the figure seems to have a beard. I decided to do the artificial light only pose for the next painting.

The thing I did like about this painting was the experience of working with natural light. I don't do it that often so it was good to try to stretch myself a little bit. If it was only natural light I would have liked that more. Two light sources is tough stuff, especially when the lights are very different temperatures.

This last one is a drawing for my figure drawing class. It may not look like a completed drawing but it is. The instructor asked us do copy an illustration by drawing the structure only using only line.

The process that he teaches is one where you draw the structure in line first then work the values next. This process works well for me and I enjoy thinking in these steps.

Since this was an assignment of finding and drawing the structure of the form from another drawing, I spent more time on the structure than I usually do. I mapped more detail in the structure than I normally do. We are now asked to do the same drawing again but this time doing a full value rendering.

This is a copy of a drawing by Pierre-Paul Prud'hon. It is 18" x 24"

Ross

No comments: