Sunday, December 7, 2008

Figure Studio final homework assignments

I am currently working on the third of the four drawings due in the final assignment of my figure studio class. The assignment is to copy two Prud'hon drawings, one male and one female. Each drawing is copied twice, once as a structure drawing and once as a fully rendered drawing.

It is important to note that this is not a copy in the sense of a tracing or anything like that. What we do here is more akin to drawing a model sitting in front of us. We take what we see and reinterpret that into useful information to make another drawing.

This is the first time I have attempted to do the same drawing twice, one pretty much right after the other. After doing the structure drawing and starting on the second drawing I was not excited about doing the same thing over again right after doing it. I really didn't want to do it again. The image of the drawing I am copying is on a 8 by 11 inch sheet of paper and the details can be hard to measure out. I did come up with a solution that made the process much easier. I used my structure drawing I just did to draw the structure of my second drawing. This made things easier because they both were the same size. I set them up right next to each and measured distances between reference points on the first and then drew it on the second. (I am told this process is called sight sizing)

The rendering is the much easier part of the process. this time I did struggle with it because the reproduction of the drawing I was working on is not that great, the value range wass mashed together. I made my drawing to light and could tell that I did once I placed against others in the class last Thursday.

I am now doing the second structure drawing of the woman and it is going well.

I will post images soon.

Ross

No comments: