Saturday, January 3, 2009

Tis the end of the Semester

I just recently finished yet another semester and thought now would be a good time to re-evaluate where I am at and where I am going.

Last spring I had passed the midpoint review and it was recommended that I take more drawing classes to work on some issues I face in my work, mostly being proportion issues. I decided that this was a good idea as I was not achieving the level of skill I was aiming for. One instructor I had had asked me if I had taken drawing classes yet as he felt I was not accurately capturing what I am seeing.

So I decided to use the summer and fall semesters to work on this. I am glad I did as I have seen tremendous results in my work.I decided to retake two drawing classes and one painting class, Head Drawing, Figure Studio, and Figure Painting. I thought these would be the classes that would help me most.

I hear all the time that painting is drawing, and for the most part I agree. I do think painting is more than drawing, but I get the point. The key to a successful painting is successful drawing. The technique learned in the two drawing classes is a very mechanical process, with an emphasis of constructing the form. This technique works well form me and it helped me learn a way to translate real forms into images on paper. It is a slow process that relies on a methodical measuring process. It requires me to concentrate, and forces me to not draw something that is close enough. I have become more precise in what I am looking for and placing on paper when I draw using this method. My weakness using this technique is that I tend to narrow in on detail much to soon and forget the overall composition at times.
For comparison, I am showing one drawing done from awhile ago and one I have done recently. Both are drawn from life.

I think I am now headed in the right direction and will continue to use the method I have learned to draw.

The drawing has definitely help my painting, but I still struggle tremendously with it. I am not sure what all the issues I have are yet but I do think I have resolved some of the more basic problems I have been dealing with.

I think that my biggest problem I am dealing with is I go into a painting without a game plan. I will look at the model or pick up the photo and just start painting. I need to plan more. So this is what I am going to work on next. Planning out my composition, color, and all necessary elements before I start painting. I now need to start producing good solid works for my final thesis so I think this next step will help me refine my ideas.

Like I said earlier I am pleased with my progress, but I am worried that I am not getting it. I am facing huge obstacles and overcoming them will be difficult.

Ross

No comments: