Saturday, April 11, 2009

To do List

Another week spent in pursuit of figuring out what it is that makes me paint. For those of you following this I have been worrying a lot about my work and trying to figure out the direction I want to go with my work.

I think this dilemma stems, in part, from the fact that I am in school. I am now at a point where I find doing what I need to do for school and what I need to do from my art in some competition with each other at some level. Time needs is definitely part of it, but I also find my direction shifting away from the path I selected for myself when I started here.

My work is taking an unexpected turn. Sort of, I am not sure how to say this exactly. I have wanted to learn the techniques of figurative painting and had thought that this was the direction my interests was taking me. I now find my interests pulling me away from this track and towards something less clinical in its process. In short I am moving more towards personal sources for how I make my work.


This piece and the one above were attempts at dealing with some of the concerns about the perception of form. I was looking for ways to dealing with the connection of the body to the space it rests in. I thought melding the body into the space around it to blur the division between the two.

I am going to continue with this with on both these paintings and the next one I started.






This is the next one I am working on and below are some studies for it.


Life painting done in class.
Self portrait
More studies





Another master copy, this one is a copy of a Rubens














This one done in the workshop.

No comments: