This week I continued to work on the Pruh'don copy. This is the assignment where we copy the drawing as a painting. I am finding it challenging yet fun. This is an exercise in building up the skills, and I can always use that. I think it is going well as I slowly work up the form. The feedback I received on this is that the shadows are becoming opaque. For that I will sand it back and repaint to keep transparencies there. (This copy is 18 x 24 inches, oil on panel)
These next two are studies for my next paintings. I should say one of them is; the other is a study of a painting I was planning on doing. I think the first one has strong enough elements to continue developing the ideas for it. The second has some major issues with the composition, so I am going to scrap that and start again.
My instructor felt I was trying to paint the same painting that I had done before because I liked it. I agree with this to a degree, but I don't think I was just trying to recapture that painting again. I was thinking about what made it work and explore those ideas a bit more. However I do agree that for this piece I went the wrong way, I took some of the weakest elements from that when doing this study. Next one I work on I am going to try to avoid doing similar poses, to allow more freedom in developing my composition.