This week has been a busy week. I am feeling the pressure that inevitably comes the closer one gets to the final review. I still feel like I am at the beginning stages of figuring things out, which I must admit is a rather annoying feeling this far along into the program.
I do think that things are beginning to take shape. I discovered two things that were causing problems in my work.
The first was the over all value range is way too narrow. This makes my painting look muddy and gray. I had been so focused on getting my color to be a balanced subtle scheme that I missed the fact that I wasn't taking advantage of the full value range. I was working between a ten and about a 6, putting my high in the area of middle tone. Pushing the value range did two things, gave shape to the figure and allowed the color to be read much easier.
The other problem is that I am still to timid with taking risks in my work. You know how it goes, I like parts of my work and am afraid I might ruin it, so I don't take any chances. It really just a confidence thing really. I am getting better at not worrying so much about it, as I feel I can get my painting back to where I had it. If worse comes to worse I can always wipe it clean. I have been forcing myself do different things just to see what they do.
About these paintings
I realized also that I get better results in the shadow if I really vary the color, using compliments to get that vibration that occurs by contrasting the two. The reds look so much warmer doing this.
I have been working on the transitions between light and shadow, rendered and abstracted form, and subject and background.
I have been shifting these paintings away from my natural red/green pallet and realized I am moving too far towards an orange/blue.
I am still working out how much form must be rendered against the abstractions and still read as a figure. Too little the rendered points float and do not connect, too much and I loose the energy of the piece.
These are the paintings I worked on this week. Started four new ones, continued to develop the existing ones, and worked on some studies. I didn't work on the larger ones this week because I wanted to work out some problems using the smaller paintings and I wanted to get some paintings finished.
The study for a thesis painting is the one of the figure with the red hair sitting on the arm of a sofa. I may work on that painting some more. The other studies and more just practice. I have been working on rending the form and these are my practice. The other thing I have been doing is someone gave away and bunch of portraits done in gray scale from an old class. I have been practicing my color, by adding color to them.
I did go to the workshop to draw from life, this is just to practice and keep my drawing skills sharpened.
That is it,